Ingredients (I doubled my recipe to save/freeze later)
- 3 bacon strips, diced (I used Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon - trying to avoid nitrates when pregnant)
- 1 small onion, chopped (ran out of onion, so lots of onion powder)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I did 4-5 TBSP per batch to make it thicker)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (I didn't have)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth (when I doubled the recipe, I only used 2 cans - 28 oz)
- 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (3-4 medium potatoes per batch)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (didn't have)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley (didn't have)
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well.
- Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil.