Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Strawberry Jam

1 recipe of Strawberry Jam Ingredients
  • 2 lbs. strawberries
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 pectin packet
  • 6 jars

Cut tops of strawberries, cut in half  and hull (I think that mean to get the center out =D-I didn't do it though).

I cut 12 lbs. of strawberries here. Separated them to nice eating ones and mushy ones for jam. My back was dying by the time I was done.

Mash about 2 lbs strawberries for 1 recipe. (I doubled my recipe since I had 2 pectin packets - I need to get more though!)
I put mine in a colander with a bowl underneath so I could see what chunks I had left. The recipe says to use a potato masher, but I didn't have one so I used my whisk. My son used his mini whisk and imitated my mashing; it was fun. (My friend took over mashing after this picture =D ) We debated about using a mixer, but since this was my first time making it and I followed the directions to mash it.

I followed the Pectin package (Ball Liquid brand) directions for no cook freezer jam - pretty easy.
  • After mashing strawberries (and getting rid of the chunks - thinking of using the chunks for ice cream), add 4 cups sugar for 1 recipe. 
  • Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
  • While waiting, open Pectin packet and leave upright until 10 minutes are up. (not sure why you have to do this).
  • Add 2 TBSP lemon juice and pectin packet. Stir for 3 minutes.
  • Ladle freezer jam (we used a measuring cup) into clean freezer jars leaving 1/2 in. headspace. Apply caps and let jams stand in refrigerator until set, but no longer for 24 hours.Use and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
  • Makes about 6 jars. 


Pretty yummy. Had mine with toast and butter.


Visiting Teaching Idea: Make a note says: "Call us if you're ever in a JAM!" Then leave your names and numbers. Attach to string/ribbon and tie around a jar of jam. =D

No comments:

Help Please

If you would like to help add recipes to the blog and be an author, let me know.
If you have cool recipes that you would like to share, please let me know.

Just e-mail wardrecipes@yahoo.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails